The Fabrication Lab (FABlab) is used for various activities including soldering, sawing, grinding, and drilling.
The Fab Lab is equipped with instrument air, a fume hood, and various tools and machines.
This equipment can be dangerous if the proper precautions are not taken.
Lab policies include, but are not limited to:
- Tool specific Tech Shop training must be completed prior to work being performed with power tools in the FABlab.
- A Fab Lab usage agreement must be signed by each student who is granted access to work in the lab.
- This form may be filled out and submitted to the Tech Shop.
- A students access to the Fab Lab may be terminated if procedures are not followed
- Make sure someone knows you're in the FABlab.
- Wear safety glasses, and any other PPE necessary. No loose clothing, or jewelry.
- Remember to sign out any keys, even if you will be using the machine for a short time.
- Make sure any machines are switched OFF and/or locked up, and the key returned when done using them.
- If any work being done in the FABlab produces gas, vapour, or anything hazardous to inhale, be sure to have the fume hood turned on.
- Clean up after yourself.
- Make sure the light and fume hood are off, and the door is locked if you are the last person to leave.